How to apply
Indigo Tree are not currently recruiting for this role, but if you’d like to work with us in the future, our Engineering Director would love to hear from you. Please contact [email protected] or on LinkedIn.
Recruitment agencies – please don’t contact us.
Indigo Tree is looking for a Senior Web Developer with WordPress experience to join its Engineering team. You will join the projects team and develop digital platforms, working closely with experienced Project Managers and other Web Developers.
We have a lovely office in the centre of Tring, Hertfordshire (just ~50 mins north of London by train) if you prefer to work in an office or just make an occasional visit, but this role can be a remote position for UK-based people.
You’re able to architect projects and understand how your work affects projects more broadly. You’re used to delivering maintainable, secure, and performant production code. A comprehensive understanding of the components and technologies related to WordPress is crucial to this role.
You’ll also have knowledge of the larger WordPress ecosystem, including commonly used third-party libraries, and have a good understanding of MySQL and the considerations of database-driven applications.
The responsibilities and expectations of a Senior Developer are not necessarily tied to a specific project. While you will need to apply your skills on each project you are assigned to, you are also expected to set a similar example when interacting with the whole engineering team for cross-project tasks.
Examples of this include when you give critical feedback via code review to your peers, helping other developers debug problems, or offer advice and architectural guidance to other projects.
About Indigo Tree
Indigo Tree is a website design and development agency with expertise in digital solutions, content creation and SEO (search engine optimisation) for businesses, schools, and agencies across the UK. We provide a strategic and well-rounded offering – from business and brand strategy to experience-led design and technology.
Fundamental to our whole being and behaviour is integrity, which is born out of our passion for technology and business, and an enthusiasm to deliver the best results for our clients.
You’ll have most of these skills:
- 4-5 years previous experience developing with WordPress.
- A strong understanding of modern web development technologies and best practises. If you have any React experience (or another similar framework), that would be a bonus!
- You’re comfortable communicating complex technical topics to both technical and non-technical colleagues and clients alike.
- Experience building sites with Gutenberg and creating custom blocks.
- Experience in using debugging tools.
- An in-depth understanding of performance and security considerations.
- You’ve built, extended, and used RESTful APIs in your projects.
- An ability to manage your workload and juggle multiple tasks.
Your responsibilities include:
- Solve complex problems in simple ways.
- Take ownership at a project level for not only your own work, but work that interacts or impacts your own.
- Be enthusiastic in improving tooling, code, and communication whether directly on a current project, or when assisting others on their projects.
- Mentor engineers and provide code reviews.
- Keep up-to-date with development best practices within the industry.
- Proactively address technical issues as they arise.
- Consistently push for performance and security improvements and considerations.
- Provide useful architectural input and feedback for whole systems, drawing on knowledge of computer science fundamentals, other programming paradigms, or frameworks.
- Write technical documentation for project architecture.
- Estimate work for a project (we’ll help train you on the job).
- Visualise how a static design will be coded and collaboratively spot areas of improvement and offer alternatives, as well as identifying potential areas for code reuse.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and to communicate issues to your team.
- Participate in meetings with clients in a professional and respectful way.
Who you’ll be working with:
Reports to: Engineering Director.
Works with: Project Management Team, QA (Quality Assurance), Developers, Sales & Accounts.
What’s on offer:
- 25 days annual leave + 8 public holidays.
- A £500 personal training budget for further professional development and attending conferences.
- Generous pension: Indigo Tree contribute 6%, which is double the minimum requirement.
- Remote working is an option (half of our developers work fully remote).
- Flexible working options; we have a lovely office in Tring, Hertfordshire.
- A positive, supportive atmosphere!
- Dedicated training days to help you learn new skills.
- Perkbox: monthly discounts on restaurants, cinema, and retail stores.
- Opportunity to work on a variety of client accounts.
- Apple equipment provided.