Back in March 2017 we were accredited with Cyber Essentials, which is a UK government backed security scheme to help businesses better protect themselves against cyber attacks.
So our Indigo Tree clients can be confident that we take the security of their website, hosting, data, client and personal information seriously and have procedures in place to keep this information secure.
What does Cyber Essentials cover?
Cyber Essentials provides a clear guide on the security controls a business should have in place to mitigate the risk of an online attack. The Cyber Essentials scheme has five technical areas to be assessed:
- Boundary firewalls & Internet gateways – to prevent unauthorised access to our systems
- Secure configuration – making sure our system is set up securely
- User access control – making sure access to each folder, file and application is given only to those people that need it
- Malware protection – making sure we have the right software in place e.g. anti-virus on all our devices
- Patch management – making sure we are maintaining the software versions as they are released.
Why should business worry about Cyber Attacks?
In the UK Government’s 2017 Cyber Security Breach Survey:
- Half of UK companies have suffered a breach
- 61% of UK companies hold personal data on their customers electronically
- Ransomware has highlighted the threat of doing nothing
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) awareness is increasing
- Only 11% of businesses have a cyber security incident management plan in place.
- The most common types of breaches are related to staff receiving fraudulent emails (Phishing)
An attack can impact your business in a number of ways:
- Client information stolen.
- Unable to access emails and files
- Website offline
- Money transferred from your bank account
All of these problems could loose business and impact your ability to service your clients.
If you would like to know more about how Indigo Tree can develop your website to be secure please get in touch.